2021 Census: Enumerators threaten to withhold CAPI if GSS fails to pay 30% outstanding allowance

Prof. Samuel Kobina Annim
Prof. Samuel Kobina Annim

Some Enumerators across the Country have threatened to withhold the Tablet/CAPI (Computer-Assisted Personal Interviewing) given out by the Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) for data collection on the field if they haven’t receive their first tranche of 30% allowance due them.

According to some Enumerators who spoke to Coverghana.com.gh, they have worked throughout the period of Chalking and Listing but receive no money.

Some of the Enumerators and Supervisors have hinted that, they received only part payment of the 30% promised by the Ghana Statistical Service (GSS). The enumerators were supposed to be paid an initial amount of GH₵760.00 during the Listing, but the Ghana Statistical Service failed to meet the contract agreement.

Advertisement

2021 Census: GSS fails to disburse money allocated to field officers for daily transportation

With reference to the appointment letter issued by Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) to each field officer, the first tranche of 30% will be paid to Enumerators and Supervisors during Listing while the remaining 70% will be paid after successfully completion of the Enumeration upon issuance of a clearance certificate by the District Field Supervisor (DFS).

Unfortunately, for the past two weeks of Listing, some Enumerators and Supervisors have still not received their first tranche of the 30% to enable them do effective and credible data collection in the ongoing 2021 Population and Housing Census.

Cooperate with census officials for credible data collection – Ablakwa tells Constituents

Advertisement

The appointment letter noted that, Enumerators will be paid a lump sum of GH₵2,520 while Supervisors will be paid GH₵2,940 for the Listing and Enumeration exercises. These amounts, according to the Ghana Statistical Service will be paid in tranches and the details were provided in the contracts to each field officer. All payments will be done via G-money.

“You shall be paid a lump sum of Two Thousand Five hundred and Twenty Ghana Cedis (GH₵2,520) upon successful completion of your tasks. You shall be paid an initial amount of GH₵760.00 during Listing and GH₵1,760 upon successful completion and issuance of a certificate by the District Field Supervisor (DFS)” A portion of the Enumerators appointment letter said.

These are set of questions to be asked during the 2021 Population and Housing Census

“It’s rather unfortunate that, we are spending our own money for data collection but Ghana Statistical Service fails to pay us our allowance. We will not submit the CAPI if they failed to pay our 30% as promised.” Some Field Officers told Coverghana.com.gh.

The field officers are therefore calling on all the powers that be, especially the Government Statistician Prof. Samuel Kobina Annim to ensure that, they receive their allowances as promised to ensure a credible data collection in the ongoing nationwide exercise.

SOURCE: Coverghana.com.gh

Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Reply