President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has directed for the reopening of schools during his 10th update on measures to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus on Sunday, 31st May, 2020.
The president during his address has directed the Ministry of Education to further outline possible guidelines and measures to pave way for reopening of schools for final year students across the country to prepare for their exit examination.
Following the President’s directive, the Ministry of Education led by Hon. Dr. Mathew Opoku Prempeh popularly known as NAPO has outlined some key measures for schools to reopen.
In a press briefing organized by the Ministry of Information on Tuesday, 2nd June, 2020, the Education Minister Hon. Dr. Mathew Opoku Prempeh has projected strict guidelines and measures to be followed by all educational institutions while students resume school.
The guidelines outlined by the Ministry of Education are in three categories this; JHS – Reopening, SHS-Reopening and Tertiary Re-opening.
Below are the measures outlined by the ministry as schools has been reopened for the final year students from 15th June, 2020.
- All Non-MoE educational institutions are also expected to re-open on Monday June 15, 2020.
- Foreign Students who are outside the country and are identified will be allowed to return granted heir country will allow them exit.
- Re-opening on Monday June 22, 2020.
- Final Year Students (SHS 3) and SHS 2 Gold Track Only.
- Six Weeks of Academic work then five weeks for WASSCE.
- All classes to be split – Not more than 25 students in a class.
- All day students in Boarding Schools will be in boarding.
- Day schools will have enhanced daily health protocols.
- Dining will be in batches in boarding schools.
- NO visitors Allowed.
- Schools are unavailable for religious activities.
- No Sports and sporting events
- Re-opening on Monday June 29, 2020..
- Final Year Students (IHS 3) Only.
- Eleven Weeks of Academic work then one week for BECE.
- All classes to be split- No more than 30 students in a class.
- Classes will be from 9AM to 1PM Each day (Reduced School Day).
- No breaks outside the classroom.
- Schools will have enhanced daily health protocols.
- Schools will be unavailable for religious activities.
- No sports or sporting events
COVID-19: Schools to reopen for final year students from 15th June, 2020 – Akufo-Addo