Debates among political parties on implementation of social intervention programmes has become topical issues for discussion. Communicators of the two major political parties thus: the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) and the ruling New Patriotic Party ( NPP) in the recent times begin scoring each other on campaign promise achievement.
In the midst if the debate, the Member of Parliament for Assign Central Hon. Kennedy Agyapong has disclosed the Social intervention programmes implemented by former president John Agyekum Kuffour during his tenure of office from 2001 to 2009.
According to the Lawmaker, former president Agyekum Kuffour was the only president who initiated almost all social intervention programmes for Ghanaians.
“This man right here, he was the President of Ghana between 2001 to 2009. Most of the social intervention programmes Ghanaians enjoy today were his initiative.” He said.
The controversial businessman said JA Kuffour introduced the following key social intervention programmes;
1. LEAP (Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty) where cash is transferred directly to poor Ghanaians for their upkeep.
2. NATIONAL HEALTH INSURANCE SCHEME where government provides financial access to quality health care for residents in Ghana.
3. SCHOOL FEEDING PROGRAMME where government provides food to children at school to encourage enrollment.
4. NATIONAL YOUTH EMPLOYMENT PROGRAMME which was intended to address the Ghana’s youth unemployment.
5. FREE MATERNITY CARE POLICY which allows all pregnant women to have free medical services throughout pregnancy, childbirth and 3 months postpartum.
6. METRO MASS TRANSIT SYSTEM which provided reliable and affordable public transportation to Ghanaians.
7. CAPITATION GRANT which provided school children cash to cater for school expenses like cultural, sports and development fees.
8. AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROJECTS which were intended to provide affordable housing schemes for all Ghanaians.
In conclusion, he said, the former president has made his mark and history will be kind to him.