The New Patriotic Party (NPP) Leadership has announced the party’s general aims and objectives for members and the general public.
NPP is a party that develops and maintains close fraternal relations with all political parties in West Africa, and the rest of Africa, which share the liberal democratic ideals of the Party, with the view to the establishment of regional and continental associations of like minded democratic parties to promote and defend ideals of Democracy and the Rule of Law in Africa.
The party is noted for respect, preserving and promoting the traditional cultures and institutions of this country, particularly Chieftaincy
Other aims and objectives of the Party are:
1. To participate in shaping the political will of the people by disseminating information on political ideas, social and economic
programmes of the Party.
2. To sponsor candidates for elections to any public office as required under the Constitution of the Republic of Ghana.
3. To win political power through democratic means in order to pursue the Party’s agenda as provided for in the Party’s particular manifesto for a general election.
4. To foster and actively promote unity among all the peoples of this country regardless of ethnic origin, position, gender, occupation, status in society or political affiliation.
5. To bring together like minded citizens of the country so that they may strive for Freedom and Justice by the appreciation and protection of human rights and the Rule of Law through the practice of true
6. To build in this country a free and democratic system of government under which all citizens will be able to contribute to the welfare, peace and prosperity of our nation and keep its people free from dictatorship and oppression.
7. To harness to the full the human and natural resources of the country and ensure development of all Regions and Districts of the country without
8. To ensure that the wealth of the country is not monopolized by a section or particular area of the country but is fairly shared and enjoyed by all, in particular, to bridge the present wide gap between
the urban and rural communities and also improve conditions in depressed urban areas of the country.
9. To reduce the excessive centralization which has characterized Government up to now and ensure as far as practicable that the regions and districts of this country fully participate in deciding matters affecting their development and their well being.
10. To promote a well balanced development of agriculture and industry, making the best use of the resources of each area of the country.
11. To protect the environment from degradation and repair the damage done to the environment by wasteful and improper exploitation of our land, forest, marine, and fresh water resources.
12. To ensure that there are equal opportunities for all citizens without discrimination on any grounds whether of gender, age, position, politics, religion or
13. To manage the economy of the country with efficiency and prudence, guided by the
consideration of the national interest.
14. To promote a vibrant, free-market economy and encourage vigorous participation by citizens in economic activities.
15. To create a climate in which private enterprise will thrive and citizens and foreigners alike may invest without fear and without unnecessary bureaucratic
restrictions and impediments, in order to create wealth and prosperity for the citizens and people of this country.
16. To provide a good system of education, both public and private, at all levels which responds to the developmental needs of the country as well as the need for qualitative education.
17. To solve the grave problem of massive
unemployment and to provide for all who are capable, the opportunity and means of earning a living, either by way of self-employment or as employees in various undertakings.
18. To give priority attention to the health needs of the nation in order to establish and maintain a decent, humane, efficient system of public health which is easily accessible to the broad masses of the people.
19. To foster and maintain freedom of the media, and open dissemination and interchange of ideas, subject only to the laws of libel and the legitimate claims for national security.
20. To give equal opportunities to women and ensure that all forms of discrimination against women end, so that they can contribute more effectively to the development of the nation.
21. To pursue responsible population policies.
22. To maintain, in the interest of national unity, harmonious relations with all other political parties, notwithstanding any differences in ideologies.
23. To respect, obey and protect the Constitution and laws of the Republic.
24. To ensure and protect the integrity of the Republic.
25. To respect, preserve and promote the traditional cultures and institutions of this country, particularly Chieftaincy.
26. To ensure that the country maintains friendly relations with all countries which respect our sovereignty and integrity as a nation, and support measures that strengthen the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the
African Union (AU), the Commonwealth and the United Nations (UN), in pursuit of development, peace, freedom and just international order.
27. To ensure that the Charter of the AU and Treaty of ECOWAS conform to democratic principles and maintain respect for the Rule of Law in Africa.
28. To develop and maintain close fraternal relations with all political parties in West Africa, and the rest of Africa, which share the liberal democratic ideals of the Party, with the view to the establishment of
regional and continental associations of like minded democratic parties to promote and defend ideals of Democracy and the Rule of Law in Africa.