On 12th March, 2020, the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service announced the first two covid-19 cases in Ghana which were imported cases.
Fast forward, the number of positive cases have increased from the initial two cases to 18,134 Confirmed Cases with 4,467 Active Cases, 13,550 Recoveries/Discharge with 117 Deaths.
Many Government officials such Ministers, Deputy ministers, Members of Parliament and the Chief Executive Officers of state owned institutions were tested positive.
BELOW IS THE LIST OF GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND POLITICIANS WHO HAVE BEEN SUSPECTED OR HAVE TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVOLID-19
- Minister of Health Kwaku Agyeman Manu
- Chief Executive Officer of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) Dr. Lydia Dsane-Selby.
- The High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Papa Owusu Ankomah.
- The Late Kwadzo Owusu Afriyie (then Chief Executive Officer of the Forestry Commission)
- The Mayor of Sekondi Takoradi, Anthony Kobina Kurentsi Sam has also died.
- The campaign manager for the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), Peter Mac Manu is reported to be at the Korle Bu Teaching according to myjoyonline.
THE FOLLOWING PERSONS ARE ALSO IN QUARANTINE ON SUSPICION OF COVOLID
- The Minister of Education, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh.
- Deputy Minister of Trade Hon. Carlos Ahenkorah among others.
- Regional Reorganisation Minister, Daniel Kweku Botwe.