With less than ninety days to this year’s Presidential and Parliamentary elections, the Political Parties in the country have begun outlining their Manifesto Promises.
In the just launched National Democratic Congress’ 2020 manifesto, the party has made many promises to teachers across the country.
Among all the Promises made by the National Democratic Congress in their 2020 manifesto, ten key promises were made for Teachers in the country.
Below are the Ten (10) Key Takeaways from the National Democratic Congress’ manifesto for Teachers.
The next NDC Government shall:
1. increase teachers retention premium.
2. reinstate the payment of responsibility allowances to teachers.
3. fast track promotions and applications for academic progression.
4. open special credit lines to facilitate access to loans for teachers
5. collaborate with teacher unions to implement a special regime allowing teachers to own vehicles under affordable terms.
6. abolish the mandatory national service and teacher licensure examinations for graduate teachers.
7. restore automatic employment of newly trained teachers.
8. provide teachers with free tablets to facilitate teaching and learning.
9. Amend the National Pensions Act, to allow teachers who have contributed to SSNIT for 10 years and above to collateralize their contributions for mortgage loans.
10. revisit and make functional the agenda of providing special incentives for teachers who accept postings to rural and deprived communities.
This is a deception because NDC has never paid any retention allowance to any teacher in Ghana. Tell us the number of teachers you employed from 2012 to 2016 first. Teachers who accept postings to difficult areas ought to be given a special allowance but gov’ts upon gov’ts (NDC with its 16 years in government) have never honoured this. It is just for votes. Some of us teachers are wide awake.