What is Ghana Education Service (GES)?
The Ghana Education Service (GES) is an agency established under the Ministry of Education (MoE).
The Service, has its main role/functions as contained in the Education Act, Act 778 (2008) of the Ministry of Education.
The functions of Ghana Education Service (GES) are as follows:
1. To provide and oversee Basic Education (Pre-tertiary), Technical Education as well as Special Education
2. To promote the efficiency and full development of talents among its members
3. To carry out such other functions as are incidental to the attainment of the functions specified above.
4. To maintain professional standards and the conduct of its personnel
5. To recruit and post qualified teaching and non-teaching staff
A BRIEF ABOUT GHANA EDUCATION SERVICE (GES)
The Ghana Education Service (GES) was established, as part of the Public Service of Ghana, in 1974 by NRCD 247 and was subsequently amended by NRCD 252, 357 and SMCD 63.
Under the forth Republican Constitution of Ghana, these earlier legislations have been amended by Acts of Parliament, including Act 506 (1994) and Act 778 (2008).
The Ghana Education Service (GES) is governed by a fifteen-member Council called the GES Council.