GES Biometric Registration Date and Centers for Newly Posted/Recruited Teachers
- The Ghana Education Service (GES) has its mandates as enshrined in the Education Act, Act (778).
- The Ghana Education Service (GES) is an Agency of the Ministry of Education mandated to recruit and post qualified teaching and non-teaching staff into the Service.
- GES is also mandated to provide and oversee Basic Education (Pre-tertiary), Technical Education as well as Special Education.
- The Service is also responsible for maintaining professional standards and the conduct of its personnel.
- GES among many duties is to promote the efficiency and full development of talents among its members
GES Staff IDs and Biometric Registration for newly recruited teachers
- Management of the Ghana Education Service (GES) is supposed to generate new staff IDs for newly recruited teachers into the Service.
- GES is also expected to collaborate with management of the Controller and Accountant-General’s Department and Ministry of Finance to ensure that, Biometric Registration is done for all newly recruited teachers for commencement of payment of salaries.
- Staff IDs are generated while Biometric Registration is done after newly recruited teachers accept postings to their various stations and successful submission of all required documents at the GES Regional and District Directorates.
- Biometric Registration is the final step/procedure in the Ghana Education Service (GES) recruitment process, and it entails the collection of biometric data, such as fingerprints and live pictures, during which the teachers will be asked to confirm their particulars.
- Note that, a newly recruited teacher can only be paid salary after a successful biometric registration is done.
Why is Biometric Registration Done for Newly Posted/Recruited Teachers?
These are a few reasons of doing Biometric Registration for newly recruited teachers.
- Biometric Registration enables Ghana Education Service to incorporate the newly recruited teachers into their database, allowing for more convenient documentation.
- Biometric Registration is done to enable the Ministry of Finance to release funds to the Controller and Accountant-General’s Department for payment of salaries to teachers.
- Biometric Registration also enables SSNIT to capture data on all newly recruited teachers.
- Biometric Registration also enables Teacher Unions to capture data on all newly recruited teachers.
When will GES do Biometric Registration for 2022 newly recruited teachers?
Earlier, management of the Ghana Education Service (GES) has announced proposed dates and venues for Biometric Registration of Newly Recruited Teachers.
According to the statement, the Ghana Education Service released a detailed schedule for Biometric Registration for the 2020 batch of Trained Teachers who were recruited in 2022 with appointment letter effective from 1st February, 2022.
The release stated that, the Biometric Registration will take place throughout the sixteen (16) administrative regions of the Ghana from 22nd March, 2022 to 2nd April, 2022.
Why GES could not conduct Biometric Registration for 2022 newly recruited teachers as announced?
According to our sources from the inner circle of the Ghana Education Service, the following were some of the reasons they couldn’t do the Biometric Registration as initially announced.
1. Issues of Re-postings by some teachers with genuine concerns have delayed the generation of Staff IDs hence, the postponement of the Biometric Registration.
2. Delay in acceptance of some Newly Recruited Teacher. Due to the genuine Re-postings of some teachers, their regional re-appointment letters have delayed. As a result, some of the teachers couldn’t submit their required documents to the GES Regional and District Directorates on time.
3. That, GES wants to save time and stress, hence the proposed decision to organize a one time/ general Biometric Registration for all 2022 newly recruited teachers.
4. Late recruitment of some 2017, 2018 and 2019 backlogs of trained teachers after appointment of 2020 batch of Trained Teachers were released has also affected this year’s Biometric Registration.
5. We also suspect that, there are other genuine concerns which was not disclosed by GES.
PROPOSED DATE FOR 2022 BIOMETRIC REGISTRATION
After the inability to meet the first Biometric Registration date, GES is yet to officially set a final date. But, our engagement with the Service disclosed that, the registration will commence in May 2022 across the country. The official date will be announced by GES.
PROPOSED VENUES FOR GES BIOMETRIC REGISTRATION
The Biometric Registration is expected to take place at designated venue in each Region.
GES Biometric Registration are usually done at the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) Hall and premises of some selected Senior High School campuses in the various regional capitals.
In the Greater Accra region, the Biometric Registration is occasionally held at the premises of the Ministry of Finance Headquarters and GNAT Hall in Accra.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR GES 2022 BIOMETRIC REGISTRATION
The Ghana Education Service has also announced some required documents each newly recruited teacher must take along for the Biometric Registration at the regional level. These are;
1. Appointment letters
2. Bank Account Details
3. Biometric SSNIT ID card/Number
4. Employment Form
5. Birth Certificate
6. Staff ID
7. Staff list
8. National ID Card (Eg. Ghana Card, Voter ID) etc.
NOTICE TO ALL NEWLY RECRUITED TEACHERS
- Newly Trained Teachers who have recently been recruited by the Ghana Education Service are required to complete their endorsed forms at their various basic schools and GES offices.
- According to GES, the Biometric Registration for this year, however, is not guaranteed to be the same as in previous years as the event may or may not be the same as in previous years.
OTHER DUTIES/FUNCTIONS OF GES
GES is to ensure that all Ghanaian children of school-going age are provided with inclusive and equitable quality formal education and training through effective and efficient management of resources to make education delivery relevant to the manpower needs of the nation.
According to the provisions in the Education Act Ghana Education Service (GES) is responsible for the implementation of approved national pre-tertiary educational policies and programs to ensure that all Ghanaian children of school-going age irrespective of tribe, gender, disability, religious and political affiliations are provided with inclusive and equitable quality formal education.