The question of who is the best man to have ever Captained the Senior National Team of Ghana, the best black Stars, has aroused some interests in who the past captains are and the records they pulled for the country.
Even though, the question seemed to compare three out of these people; Abedi Pele, Sammy Kuffuor and Stephen Appiah, this article has gone back in time to give you names of some past captains of the black stars.
- Emanuel Awuley Quaye: He was also known as Awulley Senior Quaye, captained the National team in 1978. During the 1978 AFCON which was won by Ghana, Awuley Quayle was Ghana’s captain.
- Kuuku Dadzie: Dadzie played for the Black Stars of Ghana between 1970 and 1980. He became the captain of the Ghana national team in the 1980 AFCON.
- Emmanuel Quarshie: When Ghana won the African Cup of Nations in 1982, Quarshie was the captain of the team. He joined the National team in 1978 and played 5 games in the 1982 AFCON.
- Isaac Paha: Paha played energetically for the Senior National team in the 1970s. He became the deputy captain of the team at the 1978 AFCON and subsequently captained the team in 1984.
- James Kwesi Appiah: Kwesi Appiah was an exceptional player for Ghana in the 80s. When Paha left the team, Appiah captained the Ghanaian national team between 1984 and 1992. He was part of the AFCON 1982 winning team for Ghana.
- Abedi Ayew Pele: Popularly known as Abedi Pele, he is one of the most successful players in Ghana and Africa football. He captained the National team for 6 years from 1992 to 1998. He won 3 trophies for Ghana in the African Cup of Nations tournament. Advertisement
- C. K Akonnor: C. K Akonnor took over the captainship of the National team after the retirement of Abedi Pele. He played as a midfielder for the team and was exceptional on the field. Akonnor was made the captain in 1998 and was at post for 3 years.
- Stephen Appiah: Stephen Appiah popularly known as Tonardo Appiah is a history maker and all time midfielder. He captained the National team that Made its first appearance in the World Cup in 2006. During his tenure, the Ghana National team qualified to the 2010 edition of the World Cup.
- John Mensah: John Mensah was an impressive Centre back for the National team and played most of the matches for Ghana becoming the assistant captain to Appiah. John Mensah subsequently became captain after Stephen Appiah as captain of the Black Stars.
- Asamoah Gyan: Asamoah Gyan is the top scorer for the senior National team with 51 goals. He was captain of the Black Stars after John Mensah and was part of the team that represented Ghana at the 2006, 2010 and 2014 World Cups. Gyan has a record of top African scorer at the FIFA World Cup.
- Andréw Ayew: Andrew Morgan Rami Ayew popularly known as Dede Ayew is currently the captain of the Ghana National team, the Black Stars. He took over from Asamoah Gyan and has qualified the country for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.