Togbe Afede XIV, the Agbogbomefia of Asogli in the Volta has indicated that, rejection of the colossal sum of GH¢365,392.67 as Ex Gratia was consistent with his general abhorrence.
In a letter, aimed at addressing various publications and comments on his refund of the said amount paid into his account, Togbe stated that he does not believe the said amount was paid to trap him as being speculated.
In an attempt to clarify what actually transpired between himself and the state, Togbe Afede had the following to say;
1. While working on his tax returns towards the end of last year, he received tax receipts from the Council of State Secretariat that indicated that some money was paid into his bank account in July, 2021 as “Ex Gratia” for his four-year work as a member of the Council of State, 2017-2020.
2. He applied for and received a statement from his bankers that confirmed that indeed some money was paid into his account. He eventually confirmed from the Council of State Secretariat that the sum of GH¢365,392.67 was paid into his account as Ex Gratia.
3. He did not think the payment was made to trap him, as is being speculated. He believes it was paid to everybody who served on the Council of State. However, he thought that extra payment was inappropriate for a short, effectively part-time work, for which he received a monthly salary and was entitled to other privileges. So, he was very uncomfortable with it.
4. After weeks of trying, he obtained advice on how to refund inappropriate payments to the State, and on March 4, 2022, made the refund into the Controller & Accountant General’s Department Suspense Account at the Bank of Ghana.
5. In his letter to the Secretary, Council of State, he stated that it was a great honour for him to have served on the Council of State for four years, 2017 to 2020. Even though he served as chairman of one of the three (3) committees of the Council, the Economy and Special Development Initiatives Committee, and participated fully in the Council’s activities, he does not think his work merited the payment to him of a colossal sum of GH¢365,392.67, as Ex Gratia, in addition to the salary he enjoyed from what was effectively a part-time job.
Togbe Afede XIV was recently in the news for refunding a colossal sum of GH¢365,392.67 paid into his account as ex gratia for serving as member of the Council of State, 2017 to 2020.