“One Teacher One Laptop”: Gov’t hands over 350,000 laptops to GES, MoE for distribution

Dr. Yaw Osei Adutwum and Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia

The Government of Ghana has handed over laptops to the Ghana Education Service (GES) and the Ministry of Education (MoE) for onwards distribution to teachers across the country.

At a brief but colourful ceremony at the campus of the St Mary’s Senior High School on Friday, September 3, the Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has launched and handed over 350,000 laptops under the ‘One Teacher One Laptop’ programme to the GES and MoE in fulfilment of government’s pledge to equip Ghana’s teachers with the requisite ICT skills to prepare the next generation for the Fourth Industrial revolution.

Speaking at the ceremony, the Vice President has underscored that effective teaching and learning is critical to developing the human capacity for work, innovation and creativity; necessary ingredients for capacity building.

Advertisement

According to him, teachers are indispensable pillars to this necessary capacity building. He added that, this initiative, in collaboration with the Teacher Unions, is to support the vision of the Ghana Education Service of creating an enabling environment to facilitate effective teaching and learning.

Advertisement

Dr. Bawumia has disclosed that, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s government will provide teachers in Ghana with laptops preloaded with educational materials and with access to an E-Library equipped with books recommended by the GES on the various subjects.

The materials can be accessed whether online or offline and with free Wi-Fi available in 722 Senior High Schools across the country, access to the almost innumerable resources available on the internet is expected to aid research, teaching and learning.

According to available records, the Pre-tertiary Education Unions in collaboration with GES and MoE have unanimously aggred to distribute a customized TMI laptops to Pre-tertiary teachers in Ghana. The agreement said, government will absorb 70% cost of the laptops while teachers pay for the remaining 30%. The 30%, according to GES shall be deducted from the salary of beneficiaries of TMI laptops from source.

SOURCE: Coverghana.com.gh

Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Reply