His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has announced new Protocols for funeral arrangements across the country.
The President announced the new safety protocols for funerals during his update number 26 on measures taken to combat the spread of Covid-19 in Ghana.
According to President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, the COVID-19 Taskforce, which he chairs, has recommended that a second look be taken at the protocols that have been put in place for the holding of funerals across the country.
He said, he has, in previous updates, emphasized the need for the strict observance of safety protocols at funerals, and the following measures are a set of enhanced protocols which must be adhered to by all at funerals:
1. all events associated with funerals must be held in open air spaces.
2. there must be observance of the one (1) metre social distancing rule by sympathisers.
3. the wearing of masks is mandatory, and persons must respect the enhanced hygiene protocols.
4. funerals should not go beyond the two (2) hour time duration.
5. post-funeral receptions are banned.
6. handshakes must be avoided; and
7. one-week funeral celebrations are restricted solely to family members, and should not exceed a duration of two (2) hours.
The Ghana Health Service has moved to fortify its contact tracing, testing and treating campaigns, especially across the hotspots of Greater Accra and Greater Kumasi Metropolitan areas.
He assured that, the COVID-19 treatment centres continue to be resourced with medical supplies, personal protection equipment, and health workers
President Akufo-Addo again said, anyone who may violate the restrictions shall face the laws.