General Functions of GES Headquarters, Regions and Districts
The Ghana Education Service (GES) operates from its National Level or Headquarters through Regional Education Directorates to the District/Municipal/Metropolitan Directorates of the Service.
The GES Headquarters, Regions and Districts perform specific responsibilities assigned to it.
The following functions are stated in the Section 3 of the Ghana Education service Act (ACT 506) of 1995.
General Functions of GES National Level or Headquarters
1. Responsible for implementation of approved national policies and programmes relating to pre-tertiary education.
2. Provide and oversee Basic Education, Senior High Education, Technical Education as well as Special Education.
3. Register, supervise and inspect private pre-tertiary educational institutions.
4. Submit recommendations to the Minister of Education for educational policies and programmers.
5. Promote the efficiency and full growth of talents amongst its members.
6. Register teachers and updating the register of all teachers in the public system (now the work of NTC).
7. Maintain professional standards and conduct of its personnel.
8. Carry out other functions that influence the attainment of the functions specified above.
Functions of GES at the Regional Level
1. Co-ordination of work of District Education Directorates.
2. Inspection and Supervision of pre-tertiary educational institutions.
3. Monitoring and evaluating of schools and colleges.
4. Posting of teachers to second cycle schools.
5. Appointment of Boards of schools and colleges.
6. Collection and use of educational data.
7. Auditing of schools accounts to ensure judicious use of funds.
8. Pre-service and in-service education and training of teachers.
9. Works closely with the regional Co-coordinating Council of the region.
Functions of GES at the District/Municipal/Metropolitan Level
1. Oversee the second cycle institutions within the district on behalf on the Regional Directorate.
2. Appointments, postings, transfers and discipline of teachers in the district.
3. Recommend teachers promotions below the grade of principal superintendent.
4. Construct and build syllabi for pre-tertiary schools and institutions.
5. Control payments of teachers’ salaries and entitlements.
6. Appointments of management committees for the basic educational institutions.
7. Coordinates the work of the Districts Education oversight committees (DEOC).
8. Disbursement of government education grants
9. Distribute books and materials supplied by the government
10. Build, equip and maintain schools with the financial assistance of the government, education units and other private bodies
11. Collection and submission of accurate data and statistics on all schools both public and private, for the purposes of planning, budgeting, monitoring and
evaluation at the district, regional and national levels
12. Advising the district chief executive or district assembly on all educational matters.
13. Management and supervision of personnel and all schools both public and private (Basic, senior high schools, vocational and technical institutions.)
14. Preparation and submission of quarterly and annual reports on all
educational activities in the district according to guidelines issues by the GES council and MoE to the Director-General.
15. Preparation of annual budgets of the district in accordance with the current accounting framework and submission of same to the director-general through the regional director.
16. Any other duties that may be assigned by the regional director or by the Director-General.