Ghana National Fire Service records 44 fires on Christmas day

Ghana National Fire Service
Ghana National Fire Service

Management of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has observed a sudden rise in fire cases on Christmas Day.

The service in a press release has cautioned the general public to be very cautious during the festivities till the end of the dry (harmattan) season by abiding with basic fire safety practices to reduce the incidents of fire outbreaks.

According to the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), they have recorded a total of forty-four (44) fires nationwide on Christmas Day.

Advertisement

In categorising the fire cases, GNFS said out of the total fires recorded, nineteen (19) were domestic, nine (9) commercial, eight (8) bushfires, five (5) vehicular, two (2) electrical installation fires, and one (1) crown fire involving a coconut tree. Also, they recorded nine (9) out-on-arrival fire cases.

Statistically, Tema Region recorded the highest of eleven (11) fires, followed by the Ashanti Region with fires and the Accra Region with five (5) fires.

Upper East Region recorded the least fire. Fortunately, no fire incident casualty was recorded. Three (3) road crashes with two (2) casualties were responded to by the Service. Accra Region recorded two (2) out of the total with one (1) incident recorded in the Central Region.

Advertisement

Management of GNFS finds the sudden rise in incidents very worrying despite the nationwide heightened awareness and sensitization campaigns through the various media.

The Service, therefore calls on the general public to play its role in Fire Prevention by prioritizing their safety through the adherence to basic fire safety measures being churned out by the Service throughout the Country and making positive attitudinal changes toward fire management to reduce fires during this festive season and beyond.

The general public is cautioned to be extra vigilant by avoiding the harming of bushes and rubbish; ensuring proper maintenance of their vehicles; avoiding the misuse of naked lights such as lit candles and mosquito coils; avoiding the misuse of LPG cooking apparatuses, electricity, and electrical appliances, unattended cooking in the kitchen among other negative practices that largely cause these fires.

SOURCE: Coverghana.com.gh

Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Reply