A group of teachers have petitioned the 2022 National Delegates Conference of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) over One Teacher One Laptop Initiative.
According to the teachers, the National Council Members of the Association have failed their membership on the controversial laptop project hence, there’s a need to petition the National Delegates Conference, which is the highest decision making body of the Association.
In a joint petition signed by Mr, Tulasi Mathias, Mr. Lawrence Edem Tsorhe and Mr. Christian Youngs said, pursuant to Article 20 (2) of the GNAT Constitution as amended in 2018, they have resolved in their capacity as members of the Ghana National Association of Teachers, to officially petition the original jurisdiction of the National Delegates Conference which is the highest decision making body of the Union to take a firm and concrete decision on the above subject matter, since the National Council Members failed to do due diligence on the said “One Teacher, One Laptop Initiative”.
The teachers are praying to GNAT National Delegates Conference to demand the following among many;
1. All Contract documents relating to the deal.
2. The identity of the true owners of K.A. Technologies and what necessitated the Unions including GNAT to recommend the said Company to the Ministry of Education.
3. Why their monies with GESOPS was used to pre-finance the project without our consent and wanting us to pay interest on the said money.
4. How much was given to K.A. Technologies and documents proving same.
5. The interest rate on the money.
6. Why the General Secretary of GNAT wrote to the Director General of Education asking him to deduct the 30% component of the cost of laptop from the Teachers Professional Development Allowance without their consent.
7. Who did quality control checks on the laptops in GNAT before allowing K.A Technologies to do the supply.We therefore, deem it fit that Conference will take firm decisions that would bring finality to this matter and we believe that this will help set the records straight.
The teachers are also asking that, all communications to us should be sent through this Email Address thus email@example.com