The Leadership of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) has suspended two (2) of its members over Teachers Provident Fund bruahaha.
In a separate letter addressed to the suspended members by the General Secretary of the Association Mr. THOMAS TANKO MUSAH said MR. MICHAEL NSIAH-AGYAPONG and MRS. ESTHER QUAYE-SOWAH have been suspended following a decision taken by National Executive after an Emergency Meeting held via the Zoom application on Wednesday, 14th July, 2021.
According to the General Secretary, the leadership took a decision to suspend the following members from the Association:
1. MR. MICHAEL AGYAPONG, the Brong Ahafo Regional GNAT Chairman who was the Board Chairman of the GNAT Provident Fund (a.k.a Teachers Provident Fund).
2. MRS. ESTHER QUAYE-SOWAH, the representative of Conference of Directors of Education (CODE) on the GNAT National Executive Committee who was a Member Trustee of the GNAT Provident Fund (a.k.a Teachers Provident Fund).
The letters written to the duo and copied to the GNAT National President – CODE said, “The decision was taken in accordance with Article 6 (1) of the Constitution and Rules of GNAT as amended in 2018. The reasons for your suspension are that your conduct, actions and behaviour in connection with issues concerning the GNAT Provident Fund (a.k.a Teachers Provident Fund), specifically:”
1. “Your refusal to appear before a Committee of Inquiry set up by the Association in relation to the change of name of the GNAT Provident Fund (a.k.a Teachers Provident Fund).”
2. “Deceiving National Executive on the change of logo of the GNAT Provident Fund at a National Executive meeting held on 6th March, 2021 at GNAT Headquarters.”
3. “Your unwillingness to cooperate for the smooth transition from the Old Board to the New Board of the GNAT Provident Fund (a.k.a Teachers Provident Fund).”
4. “Writing a letter to introduce the interim Board members on 22 June, 2021 and turning round to host an AGM of GNAT Provident Fund (a.k.a Teachers Provident Fund) on 23rd June, 2021 despite the pendency of an application for interlocutory injunction on the AGM which was brought to your notice earlier.”
“Your posture on the issue at National Executive Meetings amount to betrayal of trust and demonstration of bad faith.”
“Accordingly, you are suspended by the National Executive of GNAT effective today” The statement said.