Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey is the Member of Parliament for Keta Constituency in the Volta Region of Ghana. He is a member of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) and resides in Anlo-Afiadenyigba. He assumed office on January 7, 2021. Kwame Gakpey was preceded by Richard Quarshigah.
Dzudzorli is a highly innovative, humble, visionary, motivated, proactive and dedicated team player, having worked at the International & National level of Ghana’s health care delivery system in implementing health care activities in the communities, districts, regional and national levels.
Kwame Dzudzorli’s Age
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey is 47 years old as of 2022. He was born on 28th June 1975.
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s wife
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey is a married to Innocentia Emefa Hiamale. They have children together.
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s Children
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey is married with four (4), two boys and two girls. One of the two girls is adopted.
Kwame Dzudzorli’s Net worth
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s net worth is not made public. He is an article 71 office holder. He makes descent income from his public office and personal businesses.
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey Educational Background
• He started his education at Anlo-Afiadenyigba in the Keta Municipality from Kindergarten to Junior High School where his two parents taught for several years.
• Kwame Dzudzorli attained his Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in 1990 and the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) in 1993.
• He holds MSc Public Health (Health Promotion), LEEDS Beckett University, UK
• Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey has Professional Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing (CIM-UK) UPS- Legon, Accra in 2003.
• He has Diploma in Export and Shipping Management, Institute of Commercial Management (ICM), UK in 1998.
• Gakpey has Certificate in Advanced Security in the field, UN
• He also has Certificate in Basic Security –Staff Safety UN.
• Also, Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey holds Certificate in Social Science Research in Tropical Diseases (TDR), University of Ghana (School of Public Health) and World Health Organisation.
• He holds International Certificate in Malaria Planning and Control, Ethiopia and WHO
• He holds Certificate in Leadership in Strategic Health Communication: Making Difference in Infectious Diseases, HIV/AIDS, and Reproductive Health, John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Centre for Communication Programs, Baltimore, Maryland USA.
• Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey holds Certificate in Public Relations and Advertising, GIJ, Accra
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s leadership and Political Career.
• In December 2020, Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey stood for the Keta constituency in the 2020 general elections on the ticket of the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
• This followed the decision of the incumbent MP, Richard Quashigah who was one of eleven MPs who decided to retire from Parliament. He won the seat with a majority of 72.1%.
• He serves on the Food, Agriculture and Cocoa Affairs Committee as well as a Member Holding Offices of Profit Committee in Parliament. In January 2022, he sponsored a youth apprenticeship program in the constituency.
• Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey is a Public Health Practitioner and a Health Communications Expert with local and International exposure.
• He has worked on several issues of Health Communication and Behaviorial change Management both in Ghana and abroad.
• He is also a Chartered Marketer and had expertise in Export and Shipping Management. He is an astute businessman with a number of Companies to his credit.
• He is currently working on the National Malaria Control Programme under the Ghana Health Service where he serves as a Social & Behaviour Change Communications Specialist.
• Dzudzorli holds a Master of Science Degree in Public Health Promotion from The Leeds Berket University, UK.
• Some of his working experiences has been with the United Nations, World Health Organization (WHO), World Bank, and UNAID.
• His work has taken him to several countries as a consultant and a member of several working groups on Public Health issues especially on Malaria.
• Some of these countries include: USA, UK, China, and Many African Countries including Ethiopia, Mali, Zambia and Nigeria where he was a Technical Consultant in the Project Team for Stop 31 Project in 2009.
• He is currently the Chairman for Malaria Case Management Working Group under the Global Roll Back Malaria Social and Behaviorial Change Communications Technical working group (Since 2017), to mention few.
• He is a member of the America Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. He is also a member of the National Vector Control Oversight Committee
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s Professional Status
Malaria Planning and Management Expect, Project Management, Health Communication and Marketing Specialist.
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s Areas of Expertise
Public Health Practitioner, Project Management, Health Communications, Operational Research, Marketing, Malaria Planning and Management.
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s Past Position Held
• Public Health Practitioner & Behaviour Change Communications Specialist, Ministry of Health/Ghana Health Service, National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) Office, Disease Control & Prevention Department, Headquarters, Accra.
• Deputy Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Operations, Rootsenaf Gas Company Limited, Accra.
• Chief of Party, Turning Brothers Limited
• Chief Executive Officer, TurningTel Ghana Limited
• TEIN Vice Chairman UPS branch
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s Professional Qualifications and Training
• MSc Public Health (Health Specialist), LEEDS BECKETT UNIVERSITY, UK – 2018.
• International Certificate in Malaria Planning and Control, Ethiopia and WHO – 2011.
• Certificate in Basic Security –Staff Safety UN – 2009.
• Certificate in Advanced Security in the field, UN – 2009.
• Certificate in Leadership in Strategic Health Communication: Making Difference in Infectious Diseases, HIV/AIDS, and Reproductive Health, John Hopkins
Bloomberg School of Public Health, Centre for Communication Programs, Baltimore, Maryland USA – 2007.
• Certificate in Social Science Research in Tropical Diseases (TDR), University of Ghana (School of Public Health) and World Health Organisation – 2004.
• Professional Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing (CIM-UK) UPS- Legon, Accra – 2003.
• Certificate in Public Relations and Advertising, GIJ, Accra – 2000.
• Diploma in Export and Shipping Management, Institute of Commercial Management (ICM), UK – 1998.
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s Working Experience
National Level (NMCP) – Duties/Responsibilities
• Management of programme activities in all ten Regions.
• National Supervisor, GHS/USAID/GSS joint monitoring on 2011 multiple Indicator Survey with Malaria Biomarkers
• National Supervisor, USAID/RTI/NMCP/GHS joint monitoring activities on Indoor Residual
Spraying in Ghana
• Editorial Board Member and Coordinator of Malaria Watch Magazine
• Handling and coordinating National Malaria Control Programme Communication and Social Mobilisation Activities
• Organising and coordinating of community design workshops, pre-testing of materials and production of malaria materials
• Training of NGO’s and community volunteers on behaviour Change Communication through most districts in Ghana
• Organising of training workshops on malaria control interventions and facilitating across the country
• Planning of malaria control interventions
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s Quarterly Report writing
• Routine technical support visits to regions, districts, sub-districts, health facilities, NGO’s and volunteers across the country
• Organising of media briefings/placement of commercial on malaria control interventions
• Routine data collection and data verification to districts and regions in the country
• Entering of data on monthly morbidity and mortality report on malaria from districts and regions in the country
• Feedback to regions, districts and other health partners
• Member of NMCP monitoring and evaluation team on programme interventions
• NMCP Research supervisor from 2004 to 2008 evaluation of programme intervention to assess impact on Global Fund activities
• USAID/AED/GHS Supervisor for 2004 formative Assessment for malaria control communication interventions
• Facilitator at various districts, regions and private sector trainings on malaria interventions across the country
• Member of WHO/MOH team for long lasting insecticide Evaluation for Ghana
• Member of NMCP team on NGO’s proposal vetting and evaluation
• Member of World Bank, WHO, MOH and NMCP Team on community assessment of Nutrition and Malaria project in Ghana
• Member of joint team of PMI/USAID/RTI and NMCP on community needs assessment on Indoor Residual Spraying in Ghana
• Campaign and Brand’s Manager of AMFm project(ACTs) in Ghana
• Chairman of Logistics and Social Mobilisation Committees currently working on LLINs distribution and hang-up campaigns in Ghana
• Secretary to the National Malaria Control Communication Committee (NMCC)
• Programme’s representative in liaising and working on communication with USAID
DELIVER project, USAID/PROMPT project ,USAID/BCS project and USAID/Voices Project
• Member of National Supervisor of LLINs distribution and hang-up campaign in the country.
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey’s National Immunization Programme (National Level) – Duties
• Member, National Child Health Promotion Week planning, implementation and social
mobilisation committee from 2004 to 2009
• National Supervisor from 2004 to 2008 Child Health Promotion Week celebrations
• Member of National Supervisor, National Immunisation Days (NID’s ) planning, implementation and social mobilisation committee for Maternal Neonatal Tetanus (MNT-SIA’s), Polio 2004, 2005,2006, yellow fever and Measles SIA-ITN Campaign-2006 and 2007
• Member of National Supervisor for Pre-campaign, during and post campaign monitoring on national immunisations which include social mobilisation, logistics and supplies, funds, waste management, waste disposal, cold chain management, checking of temperature at cold rooms, inspection of safety boxes, vaccine carrier, ice packs and documentation at the
vaccination centres and other technical issues in regions and districts across the country.
• Member of UNICEF, WHO, MOH/GHS joint team on pre-campaign monitoring on immunisations preparatory activities
UNICEF/CDC/WHO Communication Technical Officer: P3 Consultant to Nigeria on Vaccine Preventable Diseases especially Polio Transmission for 3 months (July – September, 2009) – Stop 3q team
• Helped the development and implementation of federal and state polio communications plans
• Developed appropriate messages and materials for the public, health care providers, vaccinators, and the media
• Serve on committees to ensure effective coordination among various communications partners
• Helped in the planning, monitoring, and evaluating immunization plus days for polio vaccination, particularly the communications activities for three campaigns in Nigeria
• Facilitated training on need for passive surveillance on acute flaccid paralysis (AFP)
• Supported Supplemental Immunization Activities, e.g. immunizations plus days
(IPDs), measles catch-up campaigns
• Supported in the implementation activities such getting free airtime for measles mortality reduction
• Derive routine immunization initiatives such advocating for more generates and refrigerator for some LGAs
• Organized training for CBAs on Integrated disease surveillance
Marketing Executive, Talent Marketing Services (1998 – 2001)
• Provision of management and marketing consultancy services to Top Radio
• Product Branding, Planning, Positioning and Targeting
• Sponsorship solicitation for Association of Ghana Industries and Ghana Trade Fair Authority
• Event Manager for Ministry of Trade and Industry and Ghana Free Zone Board
• Coordinator, Marketing Research and operation
Training and Workshops attended
• Health C
• Multilateral Initiative on Malaria(MIM) Conference –Kenya
• Training Course on Vaccine Preventable Diseases-USA/CDC
• AMP Workshop-Mali, Bamako
• East African Regional Network(EARN) and West Africa Regional Network (WARN)
communication workshop on malaria for East and West Africa, Uganda
• Roll Back Malaria Partnership Workshop for West and Central Regional Block-Senegal
• W.H.O (REAPING) and Communication and Behavioural Change Mission-Ghana Netmark Communication Workshop –Ghana
USAID/AED Master Training Workshops on Communication and Advocacy-Ghana
Key competencies and Skills
• Experience in working with local, national programs and international agencies.
• Extensive experience in supporting countries to develop and implement monitoring, evaluation and surveillance systems.
• Experience in supporting countries and organizations to develop proposals to secure funds from organizations like Global Funds, UK aid, USAID, USAID and World Bank
• Experience in providing technical and management support to national and international organisations in communicable disease control programming.
• Knowledge and experience in health sector reforms, sector wide approaches, multi donor funding mechanisms and integration of essential health packages using malaria as entry point
• Experience in employing participatory methodologies in training, capacity building, monitoring and evaluation of interventions in public health programmes.
• Research experience in knowledge attitude and practice (KAP) studies, malaria indicator surveys, mosquito net preferences, efficacy.
• Skilled in influencing policy and practice at national and organisational levels e.g. antimalarial drug policy change in Ghana, mosquito nets policy and malaria control strategy
• Aware of, sensitive to and include cultural, gender and vulnerability issues in programming in context of rights approach
• Working experience in development, relief, national and international contexts in Ghana and United Nation, World Health organisation
• Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
• Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
• Have good leadership and supervisory skills, aware of group dynamics and good team player.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power point) and Epi Info
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey can speak English, Ewe, Akan-Ghana-(basic)
Unfortunate attack on Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey
Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey has been the prey of two armed attacks. The first was in December 2020 and the second in January 2021.
He believed these were targeted and not random attacks. Three persons went on trial for the first assault in December 2020.