The Board of Governors, School Management, the Parent-Teacher Association, Old Students Association, Staff and Students of the Sogakofe Senior High School (SOGASCO) appealed to President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s government for major infrastructure support.
In a welcome statement of the Headmaster of Sogakofe Senior High School Mr. Newman H.K Dziedzoave at the grand durbar of the school’s 60th anniversary celebration held on Saturday, 26th November, 2022, he explained that, with the dense population of the school, there’s a need for adequate infrastructure facelift to augment the existing facilities.
He appealed to President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo through the Ministry of Education to:
1. Construct 5,000 seater capacity assembly hall for the school. According to him, the school since its inception has not been lucky to be awarded an assembly hall. Juxtaposing the current number of students, there is a need for new assembly hall.
2. Construct additional 18 unit classroom block for the school. The dense population of the school requires additional classroom blocks to support smooth and effective teaching and learning.
3. Build additional 3 dormitory blocks for the school. Inadequate dormitory is key challenge affecting the school. The Headmaster explained that, since 1961, the existing 2 boys dormitory blocks have not seen additions or renovations. The facilities are quiet dilapidated and pose a health hazard to students. Girls have about 6 satellite dormitories some of which are make-shift ones.
4. Build additional Science laboratory for the school.
5. Donate a new school bus and pick-up to the school. The school management appealed to government for school bus and pick-up. It is unedyfing that for 60 years, the school has never been given a pick-up. The state of the current bus is so frail and weak; leaving staff and students in the middle of their journey.
6. Construct adequate washrooms for the school. The Headmaster said, inadequate washrooms for boys, girls and staff is another key challenge facing the school. A very bad sight for all. Girls resort to ‘wrap and throw” because of the state of their washrooms.
Mr. Newman H.K Dziedzoave also appealed to the government’s to complete and furnish the ICT/Library complex with 150 Desk Top Computers for use by students and staff of the Sogakofe Senior High School.
According to him, the school in the era of Free Senior High School, Science and Technology with ICT has grown in enrolment and now stands at 3,606 comprising 1,135 SHS 1 students, 1,259 SHS 2 students and 1,212 SHS 3 students with very little update on infrastructure and other logistics provisions.
READ ALSO: Video: Hon. Woyome turns “Mathematics Doctor”, teaches quadratic equation at Sogakope SHS
He further explained that, the teaming number of students is being managed by 230 staff; made up of 156 teachers and 74 non-teaching staff.
The Headmaster said admittedly, the massive developments in terms of students numbers were experienced during the Government of the day’s Flagship programs.
Mr. Newman H.K Dziedzoave also acknowledged the resourceful contributions of Government towards the school.
He noted that, management of the Sogakofe Senior High School owes the Government of Ghana for its continuous support in Free Senior High School era through
1. Free feeding and one hot lunch for day students.
2. Free text books.
3. Free school uniform
4. Free exercise/note books etc to better the lots of school going children and less burden on parents.
“We are grateful to the President, the father of the nation, His Excellency Nana Addo, for the Flagship program and providing an intervention of 6-unit classroom” He Headmaster praised.