GHANA EDUCATION SERVICE (GES)
The Ghana Education Service (GES) was established, as part of the Public Service of Ghana, in 1974 by NRCD 247 and was subsequently amended by NRCD 252, 357 and SMCD 63.
Under the forth Republican Constitution of Ghana, these earlier legislations have been amended by acts of parliament, including Act 506 (1994) and Act 778 (2008).
The Ghana Education Service is governed by a fifteen-member Council called the GES Council.
The Ghana Education Service (GES) is responsible for the implementation of approved national pre-tertiary educational policies and programs to ensure that all Ghanaian children of school-going age irrespective of tribe, gender, disability, religious and political affliations are
provided with inclusive and equitable quality formal education.
VISION OF GES
Ghana Education Service seeks to create an enabling environment in all educational institutions and management positions that will facilitate effective teaching and learning and efficiency in the management for the attainment of the goals of the Service.
MISSION OF GES
To ensure that all Ghanaian children of school-going age are provided with inclusive and equitable quality formal education and training through effective and efficient management of resources to make education delivery relevant to the manpower needs of the
MAIN PROGRAMMES UNDER GES
The four (4) main programmes under the GES are:
1. Pre-Tertiary education management including Headquarters’ Divisions, Regional and District directorates.
2. Basic Education, comprising Kindergarten, Primary and Junior High Schools
3. Secondary Education comprising Senior High School (SHS) and Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET)
4. Special and Inclusive Education.
DIVISIONS/UNITS UNDER GES
The following are the main divisions/units under the Ghana Education Service.
1. Schools and Instruction Division
2. Guidance and Counselling (G&C) Unit
3. School Health Education Programme (SHEP) Unit
4. Special Education Division (SPED)
5. Girls Education Unit
6. Physical Education Unit