The Volta Region Ghana Journalists Association has expressed their disappointment and worry towards the unfair treatment meted out to them by the National Democratic Congress (NDC) during the party’s Presidential Candidate campaign tour to the Volta Region.
The letter written by the Association to the Volta Regional Chairman of the National Democratic Congress says that, in a letter dated 13th August, 2020 signed by the Regional Secretary, James Gunu, the Association and its members were invited for an engagement with the Flagbearer scheduled for August 19, 2020 at 7:00pm.
The letter which was signed by the Regional acting secretary Hubert Mawuli Yevu-Agbi and the Chairman Anthony Bells Kafui Kanyi of GJA copies to the National Campaign Chairman and General Secretary of NDC and the National President, Ghana Journalists Association indicates that they would not honour any future programmes of NDC if the attitude towards the media remains that of disregard.
READ BELOW THE VOLTA GJA’s FULL LETTER TO THE NDC’s REGIONAL CHAIRMAN
The Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) in the Volta Region expresses a very strong disappointment and disgust at the disregard of members of the Association by the National Democratic Congress (NDC) during the tour of the region by your Flagbearer.
Members who had traveled from across the region for an engagement with the Flagbearer Wednesday, August 19, 2020 were made to wait in vain for the meeting from 7pm to 10pm without any explanation from the Party officials at whose behest members gathered.
The Association is embarrassed and feels humiliated when members had to be turned away from the Volta Serene Hotel where the meeting was scheduled after an earlier change of venue from
the Press Centre.
To add salt to injury, the Association had to incur cost in quickly arranging the Press Centre and conveying members to the Centre after the venue was changed again from the Volta Serene Hotel to the GJA Press Centre.
In a letter dated 13th August, 2020 signed by the Regional Secretary, James Gunu, the Association and its members were invited for an engagement with the Flagbearer scheduled for August 19, 2020 at 7:00pm.
We, therefore see it untenable that there was some miscommunication concerning the meeting, according to the Regional Vice Chairman, George Loh, who led a team of Regional Executives of the Party to break the news of the cancellation of the meeting to members at about 10:00pm.
It cannot be the case when the meeting was part of the itinerary circulated by the Regional Secretariat of the Party ahead of the Flagbearer’s tour.
We are displeased about the sheer disregard for journalists and media practitioners and the inconvenience caused members who waited for the said meeting, only to be told that the engagement had been cancelled.
The Association is highly disappointed at the turn of events, and would not honour any future programmes of your Party if the attitude towards the media remains that of disregard.