Ghana Education Service (GES)
Ghana Education Service seeks to create an enabling environment in all educational institutions and management positions that will facilitate effective teaching and learning and efficiency in the management for the attainment of the goals of the Service.
To ensure that all Ghanaian children of school-going age are provided with inclusive and equitable quality formal education and training through effective and efficient management of resources to make education delivery relevant to the manpower needs of the nation.
Mandate of GES
GES is responsible for the implementation of approved national pre-tertiary educational policies and programs to ensure that all Ghanaian children of school-going age irrespective of tribe, gender, disability, religious and political affiliations are provided with inclusive and equitable quality formal education.
Objectives of GES
The objectives of GES are in accordance with the National Policy Objectives espoused in the Education Strategic Plan (ESP). The key objectives of the Service are as follows:
1. Increase inclusive and equitable access to and participation in education at all levels.
2. Ensure provision of life skills training and management of personal hygiene, family life, gender, health, HIV/AIDS/STIs, etc.
3. Improve the quality of teaching and learning
4. Improve the Management of education service delivery.
Meanwhile, Basic Education has been redefined to include Secondary Education as part of the Government’s new policy initiative on Pre-tertiary Education.
Functions of GES
The functions of GES are as follows:
1. To provide and oversee Basic Education (Pre-tertiary), Technical Education as well as Special Education.
2. To promote the efficiency and full development of talents among its members.
3. To carry out such other functions as are incidental to the attainment of the functions specified above.
4. To maintain professional standards and the conduct of its personnel.
5. To recruit and post qualified teaching and non-teaching staff
Stakeholders of GES
5. General Public