The District Chief Executive (DCE) for the North Tongu District Assembly who doubles as the New Patriotic Party (NPP) Parliamentary Candidate Hon. Richard Collins Arku has accounted to his people the achievements of the governing NPP.
The debate which was organized by the National Commission for Civic Education (NCCE) for the Parliamentary Candidates’ in North Tongu monitored by your authentic news outlet thus; Coverghana Media Network (Coverghana.com.gh) happened among the incumbent MP Hon. Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa who represented NDC, Hon. Richard Collins Arku for NPP and Rev. Raymond Akaho representing Ghana Union Movement (GUM).
Accounting to the people, Mr. Richard Collins Arku lauded president Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s government saying, NPP government has employed a lot of North Tongu Youths under the Nation Builder Corps (NABCO).
Mr. Arku also disclosed that, the NPP government promised one District one factory but North Tongu District has benefited from two factories. “The factories are currently underway and about 130 youths have been employed from North Tongu. The second factory is expected to employ over 5,000 youths from North Tongu.” He told.
The DCE again said, the New Patriotic Party (NPP) has extended support to apprentices in North Tongu where they will learn trade for free including free registration.
Speaking on education, the NPP Parliamentary Candidate has outlined some major projects and interventions in the North Tongu District under his leadership. According to him, education is very dear to the NPP government as a result they have implemented the following to give a facelift at the Sector.
1. Constitute best teacher award to motivate teachers on the field of teaching and learning.
2. Have rebranded the best students awards scheme across all levels.
3. Construction of a Six (6) unit classroom block at Zomayi to totally eliminate schools under tree.
4. Construction of a (6) unit classroom block at Agordome
5. Construction of a three (3) unit classroom block for Islamic school.
6. Construction of a three (3) unit classroom block at Bugalikope.
7. Eighteen (18) unit classroom block is under construction at Aveyime-Battor Senior High Technical Vocational School (ABAST).
8. Eighteen (18) unit classroom block is under construction at Battor Senior High School (BASEC).
9. Reintroduce of school feeding programme to schools in North Tongu and free meal for final year students. Giving a breakdown, Mr. Richard Collins Arku said, the NPP government of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s has increased feeding programme from GH¢ 1,677,766 to GH¢ 2,980,800 in North Tongu. “The feeding programme has provided food for students who have no money to feed themselves at school thereby boasting enrolment.” He elaborated.
10. Distribution of brand new pickups to the Education Directorate to support monitoring and evaluation among others.
11. Scholarship secretariat has now been decentralized and North Tongu is a beneficiary to support students into the tertiary level for free.
Debating on the field of Agriculture, Mr. Richard Collins Arku argued that the Millennium Development Authority was brought by former President John Agyekum Kuffour. He therefore reiterated that, the project is not an NDC project as many have been misled to believe. He added that, former president John Agyekum Kuffour has secured 450 hectors of land at Torgorme Irrigation project where president Akufo-Addo has expanded the project since assuming office by securing 3,500 hectors of land at Torgome. “The project is called All Life Back Irrigation project. The project supports all farmers across the North Tongu District. Farming in the area is progressive and no one depends on the rainy season for farming on the farm.” He explained.
In addition, he said, the NPP government has subsidized fertilizers to support farmers in Planting for Food and Jobs. Government has also decentralized seedlings to farmers at a very low cost to support Planting for Food and Jobs.
Mr. Arku revealed that, for the first time in the history of North Tongu District Assembly, motorbikes have been distributed to extension officers to support agriculture within the District.
PLANTING FOR EXPORT AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT.
The NPP Parliamentary Candidate who is determined to unseat the incumbent Member of Parliament said;
1. The District Assembly has distributed over 60,000 cashew to farmers for free.
2. The District Assembly also provided skills and manpower to support the plantation of cashew within the District.
3. The Assembly still has over 40,000 seedlings. Individuals who wants to enter into cashew farming should come to the Assembly for free cashew seedlings.
4. One District one Fcatory has provided additional jobs to over 150 youths in North Tongu.
5. NPP is constructing the biggest ever poultry farm in the history of Ghana in North Tongu.
6. North Tongu will soon be the first District to supply labour in Plating for Food and Jobs to fed Ghanaians.
He there promised to help provide free land to citizens to farm under the labour irrigation project.
Persons Leaving with Disabilities (PWDs)
Mr. Arku mentioned that, a total of 196 persons leaving with disability have received different supports from the North Tongu District Assembly.
“The North Tongu District Assembly together with the Battor Hospital built the Infectious Disease Centre. It was not built by the MP like he said. I supplied all machines to the Infectious Disease Centre.” Hon. Richard Collins Arku explained using an appropriation letter from the hospital management as evidence.
POLICY FOR THE DISTRICT
The DCE has also outlined some projects he will implement when voted into Parliament as an MP. These include;
1. Lobbying for the revamping of the Battor College of Education.
2. Free registration for youth who want to learn trade in North Tongu
3. Digitization will be extended to North Tongu.
4. Organization of open forum for constituents on skills training.
5. Supply of potable drinking water to all parts of the district. On this, he said, the NPP government has already expanded the three district water project to five district water project in North Tongu.
6. Supporting the youth into fire service, prison service, immigration, Ghana armed forces amng many.
7. NPP will soon build 6 unit classroom block at Battor D/A Basic School under the one million constituency. Contractors will soon be deployed to the site to begin work.
8. Formation of best teachers’ awards in SHS.
In a concluding statement, the DCE said, the Youths need proper and lucrative jobs not Okada business. He promised to change the status Co of the district where an ice water seller in North Tongu will get over 100% profits.
Watch below videos from the Parliamentary Candidates’ Debate.