There is no gainsaying that the NPP’s performance in the 2020 general elections hasn’t been all rosy particularly in the parliamentary elections which saw the party make a net loss of as many as 32 seats.
A cursory review and analysis of the outcome of the elections would reveal that the loss of these parliamentary seats was occasioned by a number of factors including in particular a significant breakdown of relationships between party and government at the local level.
It has been contended that the consultative processes that went into the selection and appointment of some of these MMDCEs were not thorough and rigorous enough. Much as this position is arguable, it is nonetheless very imperative for the party and the appointing authority to review the processes that were used in 2017 for the selection and appointment of MMDCEs with the view to enhancing same.
With the benefit of hindsight, it is suggested that a uniform mechanism or standard is employed and religiously followed to the latter by the party/appointing authority to guide the appointment process this year, 2021. The process must be one that involves the active participation of the party grassroots while maintaining the authority of the regional and national party as well as the appointing authority to guide the process to the end.
Having regard to the foregoing, and the need to put in place a more effective system that addresses the challenges outlined herein before, it is recommended that the following mechanism be adopted to guide the selection and appointment of MMDCEs in the second term of H.E. President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.
MECHANISM FOR THE SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT OF MMDCEs
1. A Selection Committee shall be constituted at the regional level (hereinafter referred to as the MMDCEs Selection Committee) to receive and vet applications from all interested persons in the various MMDAs in the region.
2. The MMDCEs Selection Committee shall be constituted as follows:
(a) A National Rep, who shall chair the Committee
(b) Regional Chairman
(c) Regional Secretary
(d) An elderly woman appointed by the Regional Executive Committee
(e) Constituency Chairman
(f) Constituency Secretary
(g) The MP for the Constituency
(h) Chairman of the Constituency Council of Elders
(i) An elderly woman appointed by the Constituency Executive Committee
3. Where the Constituency Chairman and Secretary are contesting, their positions on the MMDCEs Selection Committee will be filled by the other constituency executive officers so long as they [the other constituency executive officers] are not contesting.
The order of priority to occupy the position of the Constituency Chairman and Secretary on MMDCEs vetting committee is as follows:
a) Constituency 1st Vice
b) Constituency Treasurer
c) Constituency Organiser
d) Constituency 2nd Vice
e) Constituency Assistant Secretary
f) Constituency Research and Elections Officer
g) Constituency Women Organizer
h) Constituency Youth Organizer
i) Constituency Nasara Organizer
j) Constituency Financial Secretary
4. Where the Regional Chairman and Secretary are contesting, their positions on the MMDCEs Selection Committee will be filled by the other regional executive officers so long as they [the other regional executive officers] are not contesting.
The order of priority to occupy the position of the Regional Chairman and Secretary on the MMDCEs Selection Committee is as follows:
a) Regional 1st Vice
b) Regional Treasurer
c) Regional Organiser
d) Regional 2nd Vice
e) Regional Assistant Secretary
f) Regional Research and Elections Officer
g) Regional Women Organizer
h) Regional Youth Organizer
i) Regional Nasara Organizer
j) Regional Financial Secretary
5. All the members of the Constituency Executive Committee are eligible to witness the vetting of the Applicants from their respective constituencies.
6. All the members of the Regional Executive Committee are eligible to witness the vetting of the Applicants from their respective regions
7. The MMDCEs Selection Committee shall receive and process ALL applications from interested persons. No member of the party shall be denied the opportunity to put in an Application.
8. Application letters shall be addressed to the MMDCEs Selection Committee and submitted at the respective Constituency Secretariat
9. In the event that an Applicant is denied an opportunity to submit his/her application at the Constituency Secretariat, he/she may do so at the respective Regional Secretariat.
10. Applicant shall attach his/her Curriculum Vitae (CV) to the Application letter before submission
11. No Applicant shall be required to make any payment before submitting his/her Application
12. A questionnaire or guideline shall be developed to guide the work of the MMDCEs Selection Committee in order to ensure uniformity and standards
13. The MMDCEs Selection Committee shall vet all Applicants in the region and recommend three shortlisted Applicants (where they are more than three Applicants) for each MMDA to proceed to the next stage of the selection and appointment process.
13. A Final Selection Committee shall be constituted, whose duty shall be to vet the three shortlisted Applicants from each constituency/district and make appropriate recommendations to the President
14. The Final Selection Committee shall be constituted as follows:
a) The 2020 Campaign Manager – Mr. Mac Manu
b) General Secretary – John Boadu
c) Three other persons nominated by the President
15. Proceedings of the National Selection Committee shall be held at the Jubilee House.