The Ministry of Education (MoE) in Collaboration with the Ghana Education Service (GES) and the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA) has outlined Summary of New Education Reforms in the country.
The list of summary of the new education reform intercepted by Coverghana.com.gh include but not limited to;
1. Kindergarten, primary school, JHS and SHS shall all be described as basic school. Junior High School (JHS) 1, 2, 3 and SHS 1 shall now be referred as Basic 7, Basic 8, Basic 9 and Basic 10 respectively. That is SHS 1 shall now be called Basic 10.
2. All students in JHS to SHS 1 shall run a Common Core Programme called CCP which comprises of 9 subjects; namely Mathematics, Languages, Science, RME (stand alone subject), Physical and Health Education (not examinable), Career Technology, Social Studies, Computing and Creative Art and Design.
3. A new examination called National Standard Assessment Test (NSAT) shall be conducted at Primary 2, 4, 6 and JHS 2.
4. Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) shall be replaced by placement exams at JHS 3 to enroll students into SHS1.
READ ALSO: Application for 2021 GES promotions – Apply
5. Students in SHS 1 shall continue to run the Common Core Programme for one year thus students into SHS 1 shall not select Science, Business or Arts Programmes.
6. At the end of SHS 1, Students shall write a Common Core Exams into SHS 2.
7. At SHS 2, students will now have to select either a career related programme which include, vocational and technical programmes or a high school Diploma programmes such as Science, Business, Arts.
8. This means Elective subjects shall start in SHS 2.
9.The West African Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) will be replaced by a university entrance exams at SHS 3.
10. Students after successful completion of SHS 3 will be rewarded a Diploma Certificate instead of WASSCE certificate.
READ MORE OF EDUCATION RELATED ARTICLES HERE: