ANOUNCEMENT KF NORTH TONGU FURNITURE AND FOOTWEAR BANK VISION
• The former Deputy Minister of Education cum Ranking Member on Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, Honourable Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, on Thursday, 4th November, 2021 has announced his vision to launch Furniture and Footwear Bank, the latest intervention programme for the people of his beloved North Tongu.
LAUNCHING OF THE FURNITURE AND FOOTWEAR BANK
• The MP, on Friday, 31st December, 2021 has launched the Ghana’s first ever and ultramodern Furniture and Footwear Bank at Battor-Dugame, the District Capital of the North Tongu District Assembly.
• The new project was commissioned and handed over by the North Tongu Constituency Member of Parliament popularly known as Togbe Worgbedzi I at a short and colourful ceremony held at the premises of Battor Roman Catholic (RC) Primary School on Friday, 31st December, 2021.
PURPOSE AND SUPPLY OF FURNITURE AND FOOTWEAR
• According to Honourable Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, the North Tongu District will be gauranteed all year supply of constant Furniture and Footwear so far as he remains the MP for the area.
• The purpose of the intervention is to establish a Furniture and Footwear Bank that will constantly stores at least 5,000 pieces of furniture and over 2,000 footwear with varying sizes for kids of all ages within the North Tongu Constituency yearly.
• The project is a total all year round elimination of no Furniture Syndrome in public schools and ensuring not a single child in remote villages in North Tongu walk to school bearfooted again.
• Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said, every child in North Tongu deserves the best livelihood and he is doing his possible best to achieve that.
• The “no-furniture-syndrome” and the unacceptable sight of vulnerable kids walking barefooted to school would now be a phenomenon of the past.”
CONSTRUCTION OF THE FURNITURE AND FOOTWEAR BANK
• About 80% of the Footwear are made in Ghana, where all materials for the construction of the furniture are locally made, an initiative to patrionage locally made goods and to also support local companies and industries.
• Team of sharp, dedicated volunteers have mobilized footwear donations from the national capital, amounting to some 30% of total available shoes for free distribution.
DISTRIBUTION OF FURNITURE
• On 17th January, 2022, the Honourable Member of Parliament for North Tongu Constituency, Mr. Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa begins distribution of furniture to schools ahead of official reopening of schools.
• The furniture under supply is from the North Tongu Furniture & Footwear Bank [FFB], instituted and commissioned by the MP on 31st December, 2021.
• The furniture is supplied to public basic schools including the remotest ones in the District, ahead of reopening of school.
• The Lawmaker, explained that, his able office shall ensure that, all schools within his catchment areas receive timely and adequate furniture as and when the need arises.
DONATION TO THE FURNITURE AND FOOTWEAR BANK
• The Member of Parliament who is focused on transforming the phase of Education and supporting the vulnerable in his Constituency and beyond said, the North Tongu is the only Furniture and Footwear Bank in Ghana and has therefore appealed to Non Governmental Organization (NGOs), Philanthropists, citizens etc. who desire and believe in the development of the constituency can donate to the Bank for onward distribution to beneficiary schools and kids.
• This project was the MP’s last intervention programme for the people of his beloved North Tongu Constituency in 2021 to seal his industrious projects and interventions within the area.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW.