The National Union of Tongu Students and Associates (NUTSA) was founded on 16th March, 1979. Unfortunately, over the 39 years of existence of the Union, there has been no Constitution for the National Secretariat/Headquarters of NUTSA.
Past administrations worked with a Constitution drafted for the UCC
chapter. Efforts were made by past administrations of NUTSA to have an official National Constitution of the
union but were not successful. There were clear evidences that, the National Secretariat faced many challenges
due to lack of a Constitution.
On 13th February, 2018, Mr. Nicholas Kelvin Agboni (First term) led administration, after they were elected on 11th August, 2017 formed an eleven (11) member Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) at the second (2nd) Central Committee (CC) meeting of the 2017/2018 NUTSA
year to draft a Constitution for NUTSA.
A workable document they believe will be dynamic enough to satisfy the changing trends of NUTSA, National and international policies in the recent times.
The reasons to draft Constitution, to be promulgated and gazetted as an official document for the Union are as
1. That, some provisions in the UCC chapter Constitution which was used over the years out-lived their existence.
2. That, there was a need to expand the scope of the Union in terms of its membership and activities.
3. That, there was a need to expand the administrative positions of the Union.
4. That, the UCC chapter Constitution does not provide enough grounds for legal and Constitutional matters for the National Secretariat.
5. That, Executive officers find it difficult to liaise with some stakeholders within Tongu and beyond due to non-existence of a Constitution.
6. That, some stakeholders undermine the activities of the Union.
7. That, some Executive officers find it difficult to perform their administrative functions due to insufficient information in the UCC Chapter Constitution.
8. That, the Union shall be recognized nationally and internationally with a working document.
MEMBERS OF THE CONSTITUTION DRAFTING COMMITTEE
1. Dr. Collins Eli Asilevi – Committee Chairman
2. Mr. Amos Deoci Fudugah – Deputy Chairman
3. Mr. Felix Sena Ocloo – Committee Secretary.
4. Mr. Godsway Kwabla Amaglo – Member
5. Mr. Nicholas Agbenyo – Member
6. Ms. Abigail Tsah – Member
7. Mr. Louis Gakpo – Member
8. Mr. Francis Pious Egoeh – Member
9. Mr. Lordson Anyrator – Member
10. Mr. Humphrey Ahisco Akorli – Member
11. Mr. Benjamin Yao Anyator – Member
The committee presented its final draft to the 11th National Congress held at the Battor Catholic Hospital Social Hall on 18th August, 2018 in the year of our Lord for scrutiny and approval. The draft was accepted and approved by the 11th National Congress pending the necessary corrections, additions, and onward
promulgation and gazette. After the final draft was accepted, the 2018/ 2019 administration led by Nicholas Kelvin Agboni (Second term) maintained the committee to work on the necessary suggestions made by Congress.
This Constitution has been critically and carefully examined and launched by Hon. Emmanuel Louis Agama the District Chief Executive, South Tongu as a legal document for the conduct of NUTSA
administration in Tongu and beyond while the NUTSA SRC was launched by Evelyn Araba Zentey (Ms.), the South Tongu District Director of Education at Comboni Technical Vocational Institute (COMBOTECH) on Thursday, 24th October, 2019 in the year of our Lord after it was accepted and approved by the 11th National Congress held at Battor Catholic Hospital Social Hall on 18th August, 2018.
The Constitution of NUTSA was approved on 18th August, 2018 by the 11th National Annual Delegates’ Congress. It is effective from 2018/2019 NUTSA Year.
Read below, the full constitution.